Thursday, September 24, 2009

RAVE - L'Ardoise

The best French food I've tasted in America, let alone San Francisco

I hate to say it, because we live just 2 blocks from Chez Papa on Potrero Hill, but L'Ardoise is what Chez Papa aspires to be. 

My wife started with the Tomato and Basil Tureen, which was "tasty and refreshing", and I ignored American sensibilities and had the Foie Gras, which was excellent. She moved on to the Coq Au Vin, with a "wonderfully rich sauce that made chicken an exciting choice for once". I had the Duck Leg Confit, which was the best I've had in years. The Pommes L'Ardennes (I think that's what they were called) somehow tasted like they'd been cooked in a French oil on a French flame in France.

I guess I would have preferred the same fare in a larger space - the place is perhaps too cramped, with tables too close together to properly relax and enjoy the food.

The staff was energetic, friendly and helpful - what more could you ask?

No comments: