Wednesday, August 31, 2011

RAVE - The Whistleblower

I've seen some reviews of this film where the writers have expressed outrage over the sex trafficking that's portrayed; not the portrayal exactly, but the fact that it went on during and after the war in Bosnia. 

Now, I don't know what kind of coverage was given to that war here in the USA (I was living in England at the time), but when the daily news was of massacres, ethnic cleansing, and other atrocities perpetrated in the name of war, it seems naive to be surprised that other inhumanities (like prostitution, and trafficking) were to be found later.

Based on a true story, this was a suitably dour movie, with no attempt to make a thriller out of it. Amo even thought it was documentary-like, and I saw what he meant.

So, definitely not a date movie, but then who takes their date to the cruddy little projection rooms at the Opera Plaza? Oh, me.

It may be somewhat inappropriate in the context of the film's subject matter for me to mention that Mrs. Craig (Weisz married Bond, James Bond recently) is hotter than molten lava, but there, I've said it now. Shoot me.

No comments: