Monday, January 18, 2010

REVIEW - Golden Globe Awards

I'm not sure if an Awards show deserves a RAVE or a RANT, because it's good if your favored movies scored well, and sucks if they didn't.

I'm biased in favor of Ricky Gervais as host. I had one business call today where one of my colleagues said "I saw your lookalike last night on The Golden Globes". It's true, when Gervais was on the original Office series (see image above) with his goatee, he aspired to look like me. Now of course he's evolved into a Hollywood player, wearing all black and sporting slicked-back hair.

However he looks, last night's high spots were his introductions of people deserving a good insult:

1. Gervais: "I hate the way the Irish are stereotyped as drunken, sweary hell-raisers. Ladies and Gentlemen, Colin Farrell".

2. Gervais: "I like a drink as much as the next man ..... unless the next man is Mel Gibson". At that, Mad Mel walked out to present an award!

3.Talking (ironically) about how movie stars don't like to rest on their laurels, he introduced Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler as "Rachel, from Friends, and that bloke from 300."

But Ricky Gervais was not the only comedian on stage. That old fart Paul McCartney tickled the Beverly Hilton when he remarked that “Animation is not just for children. It's also for adults who take drugs.”

Finally, I have to include this image, which some media blogger described, in a manner worthy of many of my observations shouted across a bar full of friends, as Mariah Carey's very own Golden Globes.

No comments: