Thursday, March 4, 2010

RAVE - Daemon, by Daniel Suarez

If the notion of a Cyber novel doesn't leave you cold, you'll find this book downright exciting.

Even though I've worked with cyber wotsits for most of my career, I'm the first person to cry foul when fiction goes too far in claiming what can be done with computers.

Of course, as time goes on and things we once thought impossible are now commonplace, I have to be more careful with those cries.

Matthew Sobol is founder and CEO of a wildly successful online games company, but he's dying of cancer. So, he uses his fabulous wealth and intellect to design a daemon - a computer program that runs in the background - to infect computer networks after he dies.

It's not really explained why he did this, but the results are mind-blowing.

I kept on wishing someone would make this into a movie, Matrix meets Terminator.

No comments: