Saturday, January 9, 2010

RAVE - A Kiss of Shadows, by Laurell K. Hamilton

I have no idea why I picked this book for my Kindle.

I do know that just before going away for our Christmas vacation I bought a dozen Kindle edition books, some of them in somewhat of a hurry. Basically, I picked out a few I'd had my eye on, and then clicked on a few bestsellers.

I didn't realize this was a modern story of goblins, faeries, royal households of fantastic (in the elven sense of the word) characters, an underground world that was forced into the light after thousands of years of going about its own business.

Kicked out of Europe while fighting against the Nazis, the multi-ethnic creatures end up with a portal to our world in St.Louis.

I won't go into too much detail, as I'll end up sounding like a Trekkie, or whatever they call those weirdos who hang out at Comic-Con dressed as Orcs.

Having said all of this, and definitely sounding like I should be deriding the whole thing, I actually really enjoyed this trip.

I daresay it's not for everyone, but if you've ever wondered what it's like for a monster with a nest of tentacles growing from his stomach to come on to a princess with the power to turn the earth's natural forces against anyone or anything, then this book is for you.

Live long and prosper :)

No comments: