Saturday, January 8, 2011

REVIEW - Yogi Bear 3D

I was hoping this would be much better, as I was looking forward to the juxtaposition of True Grit and Yogi Bear, the cinematic equivalent of seeing a snuff movie and Mary Poppins back to back.

Sohan (aged 4) laughed out loud on a few occasions. True, not at the intended funny bits, but he was happy.

I laughed properly, only a couple of times. When Yogi Bear said "What I've learned from foraging for pic-a-nic baskets is that Light Mayonnaise is nowhere near as good as real Mayonnaise" was a gem. A truer word was never spoken (at least not by an animated bear).

The original, "smarter than the average bear" was a childhood favorite, and I guess I was hoping for today's do over to act like a "let's go back, all the way back" session with an analyst. But several hundred dollars cheaper.

It didn't.

The too-heavy-on-the-live-action new version wasn't as cute as the original, and it brought back no memories, good or bad.

And I still haven't seen a movie where 3D added any real value. It still comes across as a cheap and clunky effect.

No comments: