Sunday, January 16, 2011

RANT - Stuck in an elevator

What did you do last Sunday?

Oh, I got into trouble because my wife got stuck in our elevator, and then spent the rest of the day schlepping around while the fire department and a Schindler engineer sorted it out.

Why was it your fault your wife got stuck in the elevator, Philip?

Ummm. No idea.

I was already on job No.1 that I didn't want to be doing on my day off - namely, pushing a cart around Home Depot, buying oil to loosen up the front door as it hasn't been closing properly - when Pavey called me saying her afternoon of shopping was in jeopardy because she was in the elevator and it wouldn't budge.

Getting it working again, and her back on the shopping track, involved calling the fire brigade, who arrived within minutes and showed me how to use the key I already had in my hand (doh!), and calling Schindler to make sure it didn't crap out again.

Needless to say, the Schindler engineer spent the afternoon addressing the fault and tut, tutting about what a poor job the last "expert" had done.

In that respect, it was just like being at the dentist's office.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dennis K here, a former colleague of you & your wife. Here's a very relevant link for you two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RV0rF9fht8. It's a clip from an offbeat Christmas movie "Mixed Nuts" (one of my all-time favorites). It'll make you wonder how creatively she used her time in the elevator. Madeline Kahn also calls your name towards the end of the clip, as I'm sure your loving wife did.