Monday, June 13, 2011

RAVE - Bardessono, Yountville

Restaurant 3 of 4 over Memorial weekend in Napa was excellent despite being heavily fishy. 

I say "despite" because I normally don't care for fishy fish - I mostly pick the tempura at a sushi restaurant (that's now much I don't care for fish).

So, when we arrived at Bardessono to find they had a fixed menu that night, with scallops, swordfish and chocolate mousse I thought I might go straight for dessert.

But each course was a delight, with impeccable scallops (not fishy, rubbery, or tasteless), and equally scrumptious swordfish. I was convinced without being totally converted to choosing the seafood everywhere I go.

I don't know if Bardesonno is a spa first and a restaurant second, but there was a generally calm, if not ascetic vibe that night. Not conducive to kicking back, necking a bottle or two and celebrating. It was more reserved and reflective, even hushed.

Maybe if I'd spent the day slathered in mud, with cucumber slices on my eyes that's all I'd have wanted.

No comments: