Thursday, November 26, 2009

RANT - Antichrist

This is not a religious rant, although after suffering through possibly the worst excuse for an art-house suspense movie, I feel like I need a good cleansing.

I've read some nicely-written reviews of this mess. I admire the eloquence but can't agree with the sentiments. Maybe I'm not capable of an objective critique because I wasn't looking for a smart-assed exercise in psychology. I was looking for entertainment.

But, it's not a thriller. It's not suspenseful. It's not Omen XXIII. It's not The Exorcist IV. It's not exciting. It's not interesting. It's not compelling. It's not sexy (even though Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg spend most of the film in and out of their underwear).

Maybe I should have seen a dud a-coming when I read that the film had only two protaganists. A script has to be pretty darned tight to make it interesting to listen to just 2 people interact for 90 minutes. And this one wasn't tight.

Skip it, even when it's on DVD.

No comments: