Friday, January 20, 2012

REVIEW - 50/50

I'm probably the world's worst person to review this.

I rarely watch "funny" movies. I find them lame. I prefer drama. I thought Hangover was funny, but gross. I didn't find Hangover 2 funny at all. I think Romantic Comedies are neither romantic, or comedic.

Which brings me to 50/50.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt discovers he has a rare form of bone cancer on his spine. His best friend, Seth Rogen, uses his only weapon - comedy - to contend with this news.

The alleged comedy is forced / strained and proves partly irrelevant in Gordon-Levitt's handling of the disease, thanks to the film's insistence on finding a way to turn it into a safer rom-com by having him fall for his youthful female therapist.

You're also able to use this device as a safety net, deciding to enjoy the rom-com nature, or the comedy angle according your leanings. That is, IF you have those leanings.

If you're like me, and don't, then do what I do. Imagine something else is on while watching this movie, something actually funny. It works.

No comments: