Thursday, April 28, 2011

RAVE - Cafe Atlantico, Washington DC

I don't know how to translate 1 win, 1 draw, and 1 loss into American sports stats, seeing as there's no such thing as a draw, or tie, in most sports here. So, I can't tell George he's 1.5 for 3 in his restaurant recommendations for Washington, DC.

Without doubt, his recommendation of Cafe Atlantico, or more specifically, of chef José Andrés, resulted in a fantastic night out at this Andrés Nuevo Latino restaurant in DC.

The nine course Chef's Tasting Menu dazzled, delighted and delicioused us, and made us completely forget about having to wait 20 minutes past our reserved table time. Well, alright, I didn't completely forget that bit. Nor did I forget my disappointment in seeing guests arrive after 9.30pm still dressed in shorts and other Saturday shopping gear. It's not that we were over-dressed (Mrs. Page as always looked drop-dead gorgeous, but I had forgotten my tuxedo and black tie), but it seemed somewhat disrespectful of the chef and restaurant to have made no effort whatsoever.

For being a James Beard Award-winning chef/owner, and celebrity TV chef, the two of his restaurants we tried in DC this week were hit and miss. For the "miss", and George's "loss", see my review of Jaleo DC. It was horrible!

No comments: