Friday, December 4, 2009

REVIEW - Brothers

Despite my previous fulsome praise for The Kabuki Theater (reserved, comfy seats, bar) I've had some bad luck with the place these past two weeks.

When we went to see Bad Lieutenant 12 days ago, we followed the attendant's directions to our auditorium, sat in our pre-assigned, numbered seats, chugged our beers and waited for Nic Cage to appear. Shortly before said appearance, 2 women suggested we were sitting in their seats. I checked the numbers, and we were in whatever was assigned to us. "Are you here to see Precious?" they asked. We hot-tailed it out of there pretty sharp-ish, only to arrive a few minutes after Mr Cage appeared in the correct auditorium.

Today, I went several steps further down the misdirected path.

Cheri, Gareth and Amo asked whether I was going to be Billy No Mates and stay in tonight (Mrs. P is in England until Sunday), or would I join them at the movies. I wanted to see Brothers. They wanted to see Up In The Air (another phoned-in performance from George Clooney, I was betting). I acceded, and arranged to meet them at The Kabuki, where Gareth would be waiting with my ticket. When I arrived, I couldn't see them, so called G on his cell, only to find they were at The Century in the City Center, 5 miles away! I harrumphed and got myself a ticket to Brothers, and sat munching my peanut M&Ms by myself.

The movie was tense and interesting, even though the trailers had already told the story. Tobey Maguire was intense, but showed as much range as he did when wearing the red suit and spurting spider's web all over the place. He and Jake Gyllenhall, the titular brothers, look as much alike as me and Johnny Depp, so that element was a stretch for me.

Interestingly, this American production was based on an original Danish story. I didn't know the Danes were sending troops to Afghanistan, so you learn something every day.

Aside from that Scandinavian tidbit, there's nothing new here, so don't hold your breath.

No comments: