Monday, June 4, 2012

REVIEW - Beast and the Hare

A strangely-named place, especially if - like me - you thought Beast and the Hare was an elegant restaurant with an edge. But no. This is a neighborhood cafe with a decent chef and little else to make it a destination.

I was pretty disappointed to arrive at Beast. First, the area - Guerrero and 22nd streets - must be one of the worst places in San Francisco to find a parking space. Eventually, we parked 4 blocks away. 

When we entered the restaurant, I was thoroughly under-whelmed by the place. It looked grubby and unwelcoming.

Then, the staff seemed only mildly interested in the fact that we were there. And that interest hardly rose much above that until we paid our bill.

The food was nothing to write home about. We shared the charcuterie plate which comprised (look away, vegetarians) smoked duck breast; coppa, calabrian salami, mortadella, anisette salami and fabulous pate de campagne. So far so good.

But then I had possibly the most ordinary burger outside of a McNasty's. It wasn't cooked medium, as I'd ordered - it was over-done. It didn't have the egg I'd ordered. And it was tiny.

Pavey enjoyed her fettuccini with cured lemon, asparagus, basil and coho salmon, but as I find the thought of fish and pasta abhorrent (my loss, I know), I couldn't steal any of hers.

All in all, a place I wouldn't mind avoiding for the next few years.

No comments: