Wednesday, June 20, 2012

REVIEW - Black Hogg, LA

Having flown to LA for a quick visit with friends, I was looking forward to the usual opportunity to try something new. That came with the newly-opened Black Hogg, in the Silverlake district.

It's so new it doesn't have it's alcohol license yet, which was the only negative. 

Our host George, friend David and I made up for that before the meal, with a bottle of Champagne and some pate and cheese in quite possibly the least salubrious picnic spot imaginable - a patch of grass near the side (I'd call it the "bank" if there really was a river there) of the currently dry as a bone LA River. 

Picnic done, we retired to the Black Hogg for a trendy-ish meal of the fattest oysters I've ever eaten. Heaven knows where they were caught - the restaurant called them Naked Cowboy Oysters for some inexplicable reason. But they were juicy and er, fat.

David and George shared the roast brussel sprouts with anchovy citronette and gremolata. Then we tore into pork belly tacos, with Fuji apple slaw and jalapeƱo relish. David snacked on the  ale-battered cod and ruffled chips, and George the buttery lamb burger, with Onetik Bleu (what?), and fries. I had a great meat (I forget which) hash, with peppers and mint, and an egg on top. Like breakfast for dinner.

Nothing highbrow about the meal, but as David said "you suffer from Northern Californian snobbery". Possibly the nicest thing anyone's ever said of me!

And yes, I know that's a sheep.

No comments: