Friday, June 19, 2009

RAVE - Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, by Alfred Lansing

This book presses all of my literary buttons: It's accurate history, written like an adventure story, about places and activities we fairweather adventurers dream about.

The efforts that Shackleton and his team made, and the conditions under which they traveled, are unlike normal humans will ever experience. The resilience and determination they showed are almost too much to comprehend.

When I read this and thought "what would I do if I was stuck on a rock in the middle of the Antarctic, with scraps of penguin meat for food and no fresh water, a leaky rowing boat, no maps or charts, with many of my crew injured and/or about to die of starvation and exposure?", I stopped thinking.

Makes you wonder what drove them to spend years in Antarctica freezing their bits off. Could their home lives have sucked that much?

No comments: