Wednesday, January 11, 2012

RAVE - Treasure Island (2012)

I know The Streets weren't thinking of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island when they released their CD Original Pirate Material, but that's pretty much what this story is.

Eddie Izzard is wonderfully cast as Long John Silver, although his accent, and most of the rest of the crew's, occasionally sound out of place. 

I always explain, to those who give a scurvy rat's ass about the subject, that the reasons cinematic Pirates all sound like they come from my home town of Weston-super-Mare are :

a) because back in the day the English navy's conscripts were hauled out of bars along the south and west coasts of England, and

b) most people can't tell the difference between the accents from Gloucester in the SW Midlands, around Bristol and the English south-west coasts to Portsmouth, so I sound like a Pirate.

Skipping these irrelevancies, this is absolutely the best pirate story ever written, and shows why I so despise Pirates of the Caribbean.

This story, while having been re-told many times since we read it at school, is still fabulously rich, and the characters - Blind Pugh, Ben Gunn, Jim Hawkins, Flint, and many more - are worth a thousand Jack Sparrows.

The book scared the crap out of me when I was 10, and I can still see why now.  This is an excellent re-telling, from Sky TV.

Pieces-of-Eight-tastic!

No comments: