Thursday, December 10, 2009

RAVE - Red Cliff

I saw this movie for at least 3 reasons, aside from the fact that the trailer was exciting:

1. I'm here in Dallas, Texas for a few days, and found that near my hotel is The Angelika Film Center. I'd heard of this arty-farty mini-chain from a monthly TV series shot at the Angelika Film Center in New York City, that provided an in-depth look at the independent film scene.

2. Gareth, despite my caution about the drivel likely bound up in Ninja Assassin, still went to see it, and - surprise, surprise - found it to be drivel. I wanted to show my friend that I was not against all examples of fighting among chopstick twiddlers.

3. It's freezing in this Dallas-does-SF loft-style NYLO hotel, and I hoped to warm up in front of a good film.

Red Cliff, directed by Jon Woo, is the most expensive Chinese language production to date. It covers the true story of one the most pivotal military confrontations in China’s past – the 208 A.D. Battle of Chibi.

Was the money well spent? Absolutely.

The scenery and shots are gorgeous.

The action is massive, with battle scenes worthy of Lord of The Rings, and the kind of choreography that should have been in Troy, but wasn't.

The story was so-so, and it can't be just me that finds it impossible to match the Chinese spoken with the movement of the speakers' mouths. It's a bit like watching the national anthem being sung at a major sporting event. As the camera moves along the line of dignitaries you can see their lips moving as if singing to the anthem, but not in any way synchronized with the song you can hear being sung. I know we used to joke about kung fu movies having a dialog that was in no way linked to the movement of the actors' mouths, but I'm sure Red Cliff was not aiming for that.

The Angelika (or at least the one in Plano, Texas) is a super-luxe theater, and I was the ONLY PERSON THERE - not just in the room showing Red Cliff, but aside from the staff I was the only person in the theater!

No comments: