Thursday, February 18, 2010

RAVE - Blowfish, Sushi to Die For

There isn't much of a reveal here. No-one's likely to say "Ooh! I'd not heard of that place". 

And it's not as if this was our first time here; far from it. When we first moved from the UK to San Francisco 12 years ago, we lived in a loft on the same block as Blowfish. After 2 years we moved one block away, but still went there every week, dividing our time between Blowfish and Universal Cafe for the next few years. I'm sure we ate everything on both establishment's menus, several times over.

But re-visiting Blowfish after a hiatus of several months reminded me why I like this place so much.

I'm not the world's biggest sushi fan. I like cold, dead fish as much as the next guy, but I don't like the stinky fish smell that permeates Pike's Place in Seattle, or Sushi Groove South in San Francisco. While I'm dissing Sushi Groove South (which deserves it, as it was revolting last time we visited), let me say that Chaya Brasserie is not renowned for its sushi, Tokyo Go Go is probably up there with Blowfish in the fun 'n fish league, while our Potrero Hill locals, Moshi Moshi, Umi and Live Sushi, are all places to get the stuff if you want it, rather than fun or date-worthy destinations.

I've heard sushi snobs say that Blowfish isn't a destination sushi place, and to those people I say "           ", which I gather is the sound a Blowfish makes when it puffs itself up to show how dangerously inedible it is.

My favorites: Ritsu Roll, Fire Oysters, Kamonnatsu, Dragon Roll etc. make sure I eat well while enjoying the techno music and Anime eye candy playing on the various monitors around the place.

No comments: