Sunday, February 28, 2010

REVIEW - Ironside

This place is hidden in plain sight, right near AT&T Park and opposite Paragon, yet we had to drive around and around to find it.

I guess we're glad we did, although it's not perfect.

I'm dinging them a bit for having a less-than-stellar host, not having a table ready at our reservation time, keeping us waiting for 10 minutes after we got seated and before anyone bothered to get our drink order, and then having a 15 minute wait between appetizer clearance and entree arrival, but I'm being super picky.

My Raclette (Gruyere, fig jam and toast) starter was hot in all the right ways, while my Bison Burger was good if not stupendous. Pavey's Arugula and Crispy Prosciutto Salad with blood orange, white balsamic vinaigrette, shaved fennel and spiced pecans sounded better than the mound of grass it turned out to be, while her Crispy Leg of Duck Confit with roasted parsnips and chestnuts, brussels sprout leaves and pomegranate reduction stood out as the evening's star.

The shabby chic kind of worked, although the noise was a bit intense and while I liked it, I couldn't work out what they were aiming for with their 70s British blues selection on Pandora.

And it's cheap of them to not spring for the $36 per year Pandora upgrade in order to lose the advertising that boomed around the restaurant every few songs.

No comments: