Saturday, January 14, 2012

RAVE - JoLe, Calistoga

We met up with the aforementioned Woodie and Bill (see Limon), and their Houstonian friends Joy and Vee-Ann, in the superb bar at JoLe. 

They had brought with them several bottles of wine from places they'd visited using a Calistoga wine passport, which meant no corkage fees with our dinner!

I'm not sure what everyone had, as the meal was picked up by Woodie and Bill :) but I do recollect seeing and tasting some Grilled Cauliflower (with Medjool dates, Marcona almonds, and chorizo), and saw Mrs. Page guzzling the Scallops (with Red Kuri squash, broccoli di ciccio, and brown butter). 

My own choices included a special (not on the menu, so I can't check its exact description online) that involved "pork head and cheeks, deep fried", which tasted a million times better than it sounds. I also had the seared Sonoma Artisan Foie Gras, stewed red cabbage, candied pecans, and plum jam, curiously paired with Uni (sea urchin). While the inclusion of urchin didn't necessarily improve the dish for me, it didn't detract, and you'll all be happy to know I selfishly scoffed the lot.

JoLe is a wonderfully warm, inviting restaurant, and our group - judging by the noise we made - had a great time there.

No comments: