Saturday, May 26, 2012

REVIEW - Pacific Catch

It's strange that while Japanese food - sushi or otherwise - is so different from most other kinds of food, that each Japanese restaurant has the same menu as virtually every Japanese restaurant.

While I knew therefore, that going into Pacific Catch I would see the Edamame, ceviche, calamari, spicy tuna and California rolls, tempura and so on, the restaurant mixed in a tasty selection of Thai and Latin dishes. So much so, that I wouldn't categorize this as a sushi place at all.

To be fair,  they advertise as a "Fresh fish grill" rather than a hard-core sushi place, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

But .... and this is a big "but" .... the net result was unsatisfactory.

The place sounded, and felt like a busy strip-mall restaurant, part of a chain, and lacking most of the factors that would make this a serious downtown experience.

It's hard to put that down to one or two things - it basically all added up to a negative. 

My coconut shrimp appetizer was OK (not much zing), and  Korean barbecue bowl with marinated skirt steak, seasoned cucumber, shredded omelette, daikon sprouts, shredded nori and Korean BBQ sauce was good. Pavey's Hawaiian Poke (sushi grade ahi tuna in a sesame-soy marinade and spicy seasonings with wonton crisps) was good, but her spicy salmon & albacore roll topped with tobiko, green onion, sriracha (don't ask me what that is) aioli and eel sauce wasn't spicy enough. They were out of her first choice, which was the spicy tuna, but nevertheless, the girl's gotta have her spice!

I'll  have to keep going in my quest to find somewhere in San Francisco that properly matches Blowfish Sushi.

No comments: