Tuesday, April 7, 2009

REVIEW - Gary Danko

Like Boulevard, Gary Danko is one of those hugely popular and highly-rated San Francisco institutions that I just don't get.

Yes, the food was good, but marred by the noisy and oh-so-touristy atmosphere. Where I was expecting a Michael Mina-esque vibe to go with the very many plaudits, what we got was a crash-bang clatter of visitors who seemed to have snorted a bit too much of the Danko dust.

Whenever I hear the strains of "happy birthday" it usually does it for me, and sure enough that's what we got. 

I'm sorry to be such a scrooge, but while I like a bit of raucous noise, I draw the line at listening to wait staff pretending to revel in a customer's birthday candle blowing.

For real class, I'll stick with Coi, Mina, or Fifth Floor.

No comments: