Saturday, January 16, 2010

RAVE - It Might Get Loud

Every chord struck by Jimmy Page still gives me goosebumps, so this movie was a real treat for me.

Jimmy Page (The Yardbirds, John Mayall's Blues Breakers, Led Zeppelin), Jack White (White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather) and The Edge (U2) get together for a chat. Or as I might title it: The Master, The Angry Artist, and The Nerd get together so that two of them show why The Edge doesn't belong in this trio.

My observations while watching this and wishing I'd learned to play properly:

It's great to watch Jack White concentrate on the way Jimmy Page and The Edge play, genuinely looking to learn. At the same time, it's sad to watch The Edge twiddle his knobs, stare at his computer screen, and arrange his special effects devices.

It's ironic that The Edge has less of an edge than most guitarists I've heard.

It's amazing how, when playing a Zeppelin song, Edge still sounds like he's playing U2, and White still sounds like he's playing The White Stripes.

Something I never knew: Jack White was working as an upholsterer when he formed his first band, with his boss, inventively named The Upholsterers.

One of the big failures in my career as a fan was never to have seen Led Zeppelin live. I tell myself it was mostly because when they were playing at accessible venues (e.g. not at some huge arena in the USA), I was stuck in England and too young to see them.

Pavey asked, "If there was to be a fourth guitarist in this movie, who would it be?" Great question Mrs. P. The suggested gap could be filled by a 50s icon, someone like BB King, or a 90s icon, perhaps. Trouble is, I can't think of any standout guitarists from the 90s.

1 comment:

Bill Eley said...

Not up on 90's music too much. Most of the guitarists sound the same to me. Except for Eric Johnson (from Austin - check Youtube), Steve Vai, and others from music you don't listen to, like Dan Tyminiski from Alison Krauss and Union Station. Check out some of the better bluegrass flatpickers, Phillip - there's a whole 'nother world out there...