Saturday, January 2, 2010

REVIEW - Shen Yun

Part opera, part ballet, part musical, Shen Yun thinks more of itself than most equivalent productions.

I must say that before they started advertising for the week of performances in San Francisco, I hadn't heard if it, despite the fact that according to that advertising, "over 1 million people have already marveled at it". Sounds like one of those old Joan Collins' jokes, but that's for a different audience.

I wasn't sure whether to expect a Yangtze Riverdance, Dancing with the Stars of Cirque du Soleil, or Nutcracker's Dance of the Sugar Plum Sauce Fairy. In my view - and Pavey and I disagreed on this - Shen Yun wasn't up to any of these.

The high points were the operatic and solo musical performances, while the dances were - again in my view - repetitive and nowhere near as acrobatic as the scenes carefully placed on YouTube.

I wondered which performances had been seen by those people whose gushing praise is so heavily featured in all the advertising. Then, as we left their marketing strategy was revealed: several people were stood at the exits thrusting digital recorders under everyone's noses, asking "did you enjoy the show?" I said "no" and carried on walking.

No comments: