Thursday, October 27, 2011

RAVE - Sushi Roku, Las Vegas

Other than for its vast selection of top notch restaurants, I pretty much hate Las Vegas. 

Maybe it's because every time I go there it's for business (schlepping around trade shows, mainly) and not for pleasure. The hours are long, the standing around time is interminable, and the fresh air moments are all too rare. 

I've just spent 8 days at 2 events - one of which was the IBM User Conference, delivered 5 presentations to 50-150 people at each, walked for 1 hour each day to get to and from that IBM Conference, and pretty much stood around the other 9 or 10 hours each day discussing document imaging and capture software with our customers and business partners. 

I've eaten 24 times in 5 hotels, and only had one meal that is worth talking about. 

We used to live in LA, within a block of Sushi Roku in West Hollywood, so I mostly knew what to expect. And I was looking forward to a fun evening with one of my co-workers. As I had experienced every time we ate at the West Hollywood location, the food was wonderful. 

I'm not a cold, dead fish fan (I may even have used that very expression in one of my earlier sushi reviews) but here the Yellowtail Sashimi with diced chiles, Popcorn Rock Shrimp Tempura, and the various rolls we had were all superb. A few Kirin, and some wacky Japanese cocktails to wash it all down made it a great evening. 

It certainly stood out alongside the dreadful buffets, fried food breakfasts, and Stoli-drenched meals on every other day.

No comments: