Monday, June 21, 2010

REVIEW - Crazy Heart

Seeing how Jeff Bridges has deteriorated (physically, at least) from the heady days of Starman makes me puff my chest out with pride. I may do little to preserve my youthful physique, but I look a LOT better than Bridges.

And I'm not talking about whatever makeup was applied to age him ... those lines are natural.

Never mind my entirely biased psycho-physical musings, was Bridges worth his Best Actor Oscar? In a nutshell - yes - although it's harder for me to judge the merit of an actor who grows his hair longer and his grey out, then delivers his usual mumble for 90 minutes, rather than someone like a Ben Kingsley or Sean Penn who show up and ACT like someone they're not, in real life.

The other thing that gets me about down-low, miserable movies is that they're, well, miserable. It's hard to identify with an aging alcoholic country singer, and harder to understand how a comparatively hot Maggie Gyllenhaal would see anything of merit in the guy played by Bridges.

Aside from those mostly superficial observations, the film was above average for its genre.

It did remind me of that fabulous moment in The Blues Brothers, where Jake, Elwood and crew show up at a club and check whether they're at the right place for their gig. "What kind of music do you usually have here?" Jake asks. The doorman says "Oh, we got both kinds. We got Country AND Western!"

No comments: