Monday, June 21, 2010

RAVE - Nature, brilliant innit?

Our latest attempt to keep a plant alive on our front deck had us stick 3 7-foot privet trees in terracotta pots out there. While the trees themselves are still trying to decide whether to stick around and see the summer out, a pair of perky little birds have made a nest in one of them and laid a couple of blue-speckled eggs.

While I can tell a Parrot from a Pigeon, I was lost when Pavey asked: "What kind of birds are they?"

In one of those real-life situations that hardly ever echoes what's on TV, I phoned a friend (emailed him, to tell the truth) for the answer. In my case, I picked one of the dozens of friends who are experts in ornithology (surely you mean Beer, Philip?), and he tells me they're NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRDS. Thank you Bill.

They've somewhat taken over the Page household. The birds are constantly flitting onto the deck, into the tree, onto the nest, and back out again. Our cats are ecstatic, and must think it's a show we've laid on just for them.  And whenever I take my espresso or tea out on the deck for a sip in the sun, the birds park themselves on the telephone wires and give me the evil eye.

No comments: