Saturday, September 17, 2011

REVIEW - 54 Mint

It's always tricky when the votes are mixed.

Tonight, Mrs. Page really liked her meal at 54 Mint. I was satisfied, but underwhelmed.

She loved the place. I thought it was way too noisy.

She was OK with our waiter. I thought he was a clumsy dork, constantly knocking into me, or our table, whenever he went past.

So, what coulda shoulda woulda been a RAVE if it was her blog, and a RANT if mine was the only vote, averaged out to a REVIEW between the two of us.

Her Prosciutto di Parma and cheese appetizer was "the best I've ever had", and her Gnocchi with ground beef and port ragu earned similar praises. My Polpette (veal meatballs in a chunky tomato sauce) were not as good as those we had at Piccino earlier in the week, and my Costata di Maiale (pork chop with cannellini beans and sauteed mustard greens) had great texture and color, but lacked punch in the taste department.

Her newly-patented phrase "plenty of ooh, but not enough aaahh" was a well-placed critique on the evening.

There are plenty of better Italian restaurants in the City, so it's unlikely we'll be shouting across the table again at 54 Mint.

No comments: