Monday, October 19, 2009

RAVE - John Peel, by Mick Wall

I, like many music fans, revere John Peel.

For many years he was the only meaningful figure on British radio. He eschewed the pop blah that other DJs paraded nonstop.

His reputation for discovering musical talent far outweighs anything that dipsticks like Simon Cowell or Piers Morgan can muster.

When I was doing my school homework, I used to record every minute of Peel's early evening radio show, and amassed a collection of hundreds of cassettes that I wore out in my Walkman.

This book tells how we got where he got, and tells many inside stories of the music biz, how bands we now know well first broke, and how much time Peel would spend sifting through the thousands of demo tapes sent him every week of his life.

The thinking man's music legend, RIP.

No comments: