Saturday, March 6, 2010

REVIEW - Marlowe (nee South)

One of those SF restaurants that has undergone a "re-imagining" (see my Who'd Want to be a Restauranter? posting in January).

It's changed from an Antipodean theme (that's Australia and New Zealand, for you non-colonials) to an east coast Butcher theme.

I'm not sure it worked before (and clearly its early closure testifies to that), and I'm not sure the new theme is any better.

When I think of "butcher-themed", I think of places like Harris' or McCormick & Schmick's, places where example cuts of meat are displayed in a butcher's display cabinet near reception.

Marlowe (aside from having an eminently forgettable name) shouldn't boast a butcher's affiliation when there's no meat dish you can't find on the menu of most restaurants in town.

My Poulet Vert (chicken with herbs, olive and potato salad) tasted strange - not spicy, not savory - and I didn't feel like finishing it; Pavey's Lamb Mixed Grill tasted good, but for me, lamb chop and lamb sausage doesn't deserve the "mixed grill" nomenclature.

The real problem was the overpowering heat - there's just no air in the place, and for me that made it a thoroughly unpleasant 90 minutes.

Nevertheless, I won't give it a RANT, because Mrs. Page liked it so much.

No comments: