Friday, January 14, 2011

RANT - Decaf, schmecaf

Having spent the night at Blowfish Sushi with an old friend who was more interested in sampling the decaf Japanese teas on offer than the excellent Asahi, Sapporo and Kirin beers, I entered a lusty debate on the advantages of caffeine.

I say "advantages" because I find decaffeinated drinks (coffee or tea) to be lacking a lot of what I like about coffee and tea. Namely, the taste.

Usually, I only drink decaf coffee or tea by mistake - either through early morning mis-handling of what's in our kitchen, or defective hearing and/or assumptions on the part of a waiter.

It's difficult to explain the taste, or lack of it. I believe this image perfectly explains the difference. It's probably somewhat deficient science-wise, but (to mis-quote the Monty Python team in Life of Brian), "what has science ever done for us?"

No comments: