Sunday, April 25, 2010

RAVE - The Wedding Present at The Independent

The Wedding Present were a huge favorite of John Peel's (RIP), and are just behind The Smiths and The Fall in terms of most votes ever in Peelie's Festive Fifty.

I worried about dragging Pavey, Felicia and David to last night's show, mainly because even a massive Wedding Present fan like me will admit that their music is heavy on the repetitive driving guitars and the complex stories which were unlikely to be recognizable over those guitars.

To be fair, it's hard to understand David Gedge's Yorkshire accent even when there's relative silence.

"What did he say?" David asked on a number of occasions. We definitely heard him proclaim Manchester as the "home of the greatest football team in the world - Manchester United" when introducing Granadaland.

Thanks to telling Jonny, The Independent's owner, that he was a wonderful human being, we were in the VIP Gallery, and I don't think my glass of Stoli and Tonic would have reached the stage to describe my view of that filthy lie!

Despite Gedge's questionable taste in football, the show was a blast.

Support from Mister Loveless was better than expected, even to the point of separating David from 5 well-earned American dollars for their CD on sale at the show.

Got to bed at 2am, back up at 6.45am hoping to see Liverpool thump Burnley, but it wasn't televised here. Never mind, I have the rest of today to catch up on sleep, and I think I'll zzzzzzz

No comments: