Friday, April 30, 2010

RANT - Vanish, by Tom Pawlick

What did I do to deserve two (count 'em) consecutive books written by faith-based authors? It's not that I'm anti-faith at all, but it's like Christian Rock bands. They're not bad just because they're Christian, but they come from a smaller gene pool, so naturally the best Christian music is unlikely to be the best music one could possibly find.

So far, I'm batting 0 for 3 (as American baseball pundits would put it), meaning I've read 3 and they all sucked.

Apparently, the saying "the Devil makes all the good music" is true for books too.

This one was lamer than a lame dog trying to walk on glass in stiletto heels.

The book started OK if somewhat formulaic, with various people waking up to find that everyone in Chicago had vanished. As they ventured out and met a few other survivors of what they thought was a mass abduction by aliens, the story got repetitive, and early enough in the book to make me want to jump to the end and get it over with.

I didn't, and now I wish I had. I won't give away the horrible, 16-story high monster with huge teeth and bad breath that was responsible for the disappearance ... nah, it wasn't that, just in case you ignore my advice and actually read this tosh.

Boo!

No comments: