Friday, January 3, 2014

REVIEW - All Is Lost

Sailing single-handed in the Indian Ocean, or anywhere for that matter, must be genuinely exciting. So how this movie was such a snooze-fest is beyond me.

Robert Redford is the lone sailor and actor (with practically no dialog), and even though I don't think the film intended to paint him as a poorly-prepared sailor, the number of faults with his boat and its equipment meant he was doomed from the moment he set sail.

After the genuine accident of having his boat collide with a shipping container, and partly patching up the damage, not only does his navigation system fail, but so does his radio. Then his life-raft fails, and he is unable to contact a couple of nearby ships with his emergency flares.

These mistakes angered me as a viewer from the comparative safety of my theater seat, and reminded me never to go to sea on my own, or with Robert Redford.

No comments: