Tuesday, January 7, 2014

RANT - Ginger Baker at Yoshi's

I was sooo looking forward to seeing the legendary drummer Ginger Baker at Yoshi's I guess I was bound to be disappointed. And boy was I.

Not only was he a miserable old git. He didn't play any Cream or Blind Faith stuff, and what he did play he seemed hardly into. He just showed up, shuffled onto his seat, made some cursory, sour-puss remarks, and tap tap tapped on his kit.

The line-up - saxophonist Pee Wee Ellis, bassist Alec Dankworth (son of Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine) and percussionist Abass Dodoo (who for me, was much the better drummer on stage).

A thoroughly underwhelming night, and I felt I'd wasted my good lady's evening by dragging her out in the hope of seeing what used to get me bopping back in the day.

No comments: