Thursday, February 14, 2013

REVIEW - John Dies At The End

It's hard to categorize this little number.

A friend said he was reading the book, and was confused ... was it a comedy, or a horror story?

I've just seen the film, and I'm similarly perplexed. It's hardly a comedy, although there's a light-hearted, if not flat out comical way the story unfolds. And it's hardly horror, although there are "monsters" and other such ingredients.

The shame is, in the end it's neither of those, nor is it that rewarding.

Two college dropouts experience a new street drug - they call it Soy Sauce - which opens up the users' minds, allowing "things" from other dimensions to enter ours, and vice versa. 

Sounds interesting, and starts off that way. Trouble is, it turns out to be less than gripping. In fact, it sent me to sleep at least twice. I had to repeatedly restart the movie to catch up with what I had slept through, and almost wish I hadn't bothered.

No comments: