Monday, October 4, 2010

RANT - YouTube subscriptions

Here's an admission. Just because I rant about something, doesn't always mean I despise it with a passion. Sometimes I'm just in a ranty mood, and at those times it's easier to rant about something than it is to glow about something.

Today however, I'm spitting bullets. And today, I'm all hot under the collar (so hot, in fact, that I'm mixing my metaphors) about YouTube Subscriptions.

Just what we need. Another reason for people I don't know to spam me and ask me to subscribe to their YouTube channel.

Veiled in bogus language - "you may know this person" - this is another worthless pile of intrusive noise from a company that cares almost exclusively about itself and almost nothing about me.

This is an example of today's new wave of spam:

dirtwad has subscribed to you on YouTube!
(I HATE irrelevant exclamation marks. They're for brain-dead marketing people who can't think of anything relevant and exciting to write about, so spout worthless crap like "welcome to our newsletter!!")
dirtwad found you on YouTube via the "You may know these people" suggestions box. 
(Heaven knows how this should happen, seeing as I've never heard of this guy. His profile gives his name, photo and city, and sure enough, I don't know him from a hole in the ground)
Click here to learn more about friend suggestions, and how to manage your privacy settings.
Want to return the favor and subscribe to dirtwad? Just visit dirtwad's channel and click on the "Subscribe" button at the top.
(No I don't want to subscribe to some freaking list of mindless videos from a sad jerk in Buttplug, Iowa)

YouTube goes on to espouse the unique advantages of maintaining subscriptions. Like I want to add to the stream of mindless, pointless drivel from people I don't know, don't care about and never want to hook up with! (And that DOES deserve an exclamation mark!)

This development comes skidding in on the stinky brown trail of Twitter (where those "hotcheeks92 is following you on Twitter" messages turn out 99.99% of the time to be scams), Linkedin (where [person you've never heard of] wants you to join his/her network), and .... agggghhh I could go on and list the dozens of ways social media is anti-social and offensive, but I can't do it without swearing, and I try to keep that stuff to my other Tourettes-centric blog.

And talking of Tourettes, I couldn't believe it when, in the September issue of Bloomberg Businessweek (like Playboy, I only read it for the articles) Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg said "Knowing your friends really love drinking Coke is the best endorsement for Coke you can possibly get". Now, I may not be a multi-gazillionaire like the esteemed Mr. Z, but what a pile of poo! Surely, the best endorsement for Coke is to learn that you like the taste, and it won't shorten your life by too much. What am I supposed to do with the insight that my friends like drinking Coke? Does that mean I'll start drinking it? What if they switched to drinking dishwater? Give me a mother-zucking break!

No comments: