Sunday, September 26, 2010

REVIEW - The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett

This was one of two recent cases where I read the book while also watching the movie, or at least in this instance, the book and the TV mini-series.

Both started at somewhat of a snail's pace, which is kind of forgivable ... there are lots of characters and intertwining stories to set up.

Growing up in England I saw a lot of this kind of stuff growing up ... whether it was Robin Hood, Lancelot, King Arthur, and yet I'd never heard of a King Steven. So, Pillars told a typical story, but not a real one.

Having said that, once I realized the family and royal angst was nowhere near as interesting as learning how a medieval village functioned, how a cathedral was financed, designed and built, how local politics, religion and superstition combined to help one village compete for attention and developmental assistance against nearby villages.

While I didn't object to the sex and violence, it was a bit gratuitous, clearly added just to pep it all up a bit, in a way never needed by the classics.

Can't believe I just said that :)

No comments: