Friday, September 17, 2010

RANT - George Michael

Where oh where do I start?

First, the news that George Michael is going to prison, for driving (and crashing) his car while under the influence of drugs.

I don't know if I already wrote elsewhere, but because Georgie Porgie ran his Range Rover into a photo developing kiosk, there were rumors that Wham! were re-uniting. Apparently, Andrew Ridgeley is so down on his luck that he was working as an assistant manager in that photo kiosk!

Anyhow, Lawrence's observation on George's sentence is "So, they're sending George Michael to prison. Isn't that like sending Vanessa Feltz (the UK's equivalent of Kirstie Alley) to a chocolate factory?"

Which brings me to my second GM rant: why has he wasted the past 14 years sticking stuff up his nose and hanging around public toilets rather than writing and recording decent music? His last single was released in 1996, for heaven's sake!

Now, I've never been a real fan of the tubby Mediterranean crooner, but (like my view of Michael Jackson), I have to admit one or two of his songs were catchy and commercial. I even have to admit that I saw him live in Denver in 1990-something, back when he could fit through the doors of the Coliseum.

When someone as prolific and magnetic (publicity-wise) retires (voluntarily or otherwise), I wonder what they do every day? I know he lives in a mansion in Hampstead, north London, but you can only spend so much of your day on the old XBox.

I'm going to stop some way short of saying "Come on George, let's hear some new songs, and when you get out, get on tour", but it'd be nice if he got a legal hobby.

No comments: