Tuesday, September 14, 2010

RAVE - Cliff-Diving World Championship

The last time I looked down from a really high diving platform was in Weston-super-Mare (my home town) public, open-air swimming pool. Needless to say, I chickened out and climbed back down to the pool-side.

When you're from England, you have to say "open air" whenever something isn't "indoors", just to remind people that occasionally the biting rain stops, the sun comes out, and the frost thaws from whatever you're sitting on, running across, or (as in this case) diving off.

I've seen the cliff divers near Acapulco, and this cliff-diving championship looks just as scary.

I posted this for a few reasons:

1. It's scary (I know, I already said that)
2. A British diver won this leg of the competition, in Hawaii, and the video shows his dive
3. It reveals a very useful tip: if you find yourself needing to dive from this height, make sure you enter the water feet-first

Other safety tips (like: what to do when being charged by a grizzly bear, how to change the channel when your wife is watching Top Chef, etc.) will appear in later posts.

No comments: