Monday, April 6, 2015

REVIEW - Woman in Gold

This one gets a lucky middling review. My choice was a snoozy rant, but that was up-voted to a review by Mrs P who liked it a lot more than I did.

Helen "getting on a bit now" Mirren plays Maria Altman, part of an Austrian Jewish family living in Vienna during the build up to WWII. Her Aunt Adele is painted by the artist Gustav Klimt, and so was born the Woman in Gold.

Altman escapes Nazi oppression by fleeing to the USA, while her family's possessions are all appropriated / stolen by the Nazis. 40 years later the Woman in Gold is "owned" by the Austrian National Gallery and Maria employs the nerdily bespectacled Ryan Reynolds as her lawyer to retrieve what is rightfully hers.

Somewhere mid-story I stopped caring and fell blissfully asleep, only to be jerked awake by the tender elbow of my wife.

My excuse? I don't care for the painting, even though it was spoken of as Austria's Mona Lisa; I didn't care that much about the characters, who were too pale - especially Reynolds - to get me rooting for them; and there was little to no drama - the result was all too obvious.

No comments: