Wednesday, December 3, 2014

RAVE - The Theory of Everything

A film about the relationship between Professor Stephen Hawking and his wives and family, rather than an examination of his theories on time, and the origin of the universe. Half way through, I was regretting that we were unlikely to hear much about his thinking process, but by the time the film was done I appreciated it for what it was - a love story.

The story began at Cambridge, where new student Hawking meets the woman who would eventually become his long-suffering wife. Very soon after, he starts to develop signs of a motor neuron disease - better known here in the US as Lou Gehrig's Disease), a condition that would within months consign him to a wheelchair and to a life communicating via a computer.

The love and kindness shown to Hawking by his wife, his family and friends is uplifting while never being condescending. This proved to a powerful, moving film, with exceptional performances from Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones.

And while we're on the subject of the wives of incredibly intelligent men, my own loving, long-suffering better half announced on our way out of the theater that, unlike Mrs Hawking, who got a somewhat fit female helper for Stephen, if I ever found myself requiring 24 hour help she would find me a fat, Thai boy. That's how much she trusts me!

No comments: