Friday, May 17, 2013

REVIEW - Amber India

I guess I could've written this review without actually eating at Amber India, such is my aversion to the smells and tastes that go with every Indian restaurant I've ever eaten at.

But, thanks to my devotion to my gorgeous Indian (English, but from Indian parents who immigrated to England before either of us were born) wife, I took one for the team and went with her to what turned out to be a somewhat elegant and pleasing restaurant.

With that good news out of the way, I didn't care that much for the food. My Aloo Peas Samosa was good enough, but the flavors didn't really jump out. The Tandoori Sampler - Baluchi chicken, Achari Jheenga, and Lamb Seekh Kebab - was altogether too dry, and I managed to down it all mostly out of politeness.

Her Royal Highness' selections were better: Palak Chaat - flash fried Bloomsdale Baby Spinach, Yogurt, Tamarind Relish, and Cranberry was delightful, and not at all spicy. Which is more than I can say for her Butter Chicken - Amber's signature shredded chicken, with tomato sauce (and, er, tons of butter in that sauce no doubt).

All in all, I was happy to do a good deed by going there but, unlike my wife, I won't be hurrying back. That's in no way a poor reflection of Amber India, but more of my personal, ingrained biases.


No comments: