Friday, November 30, 2012

RAVE - Hitchcock

I'm not a particular admirer of Alfred Hitchcok, or his films. Yes, he's responsible for some of the most significant thrillers of all time, but they don't, for me, bear watching in adulation now.

But this film wasn't a biopic of his life, or a review of his films. It was the story of his marriage to Alma Reville - played by Helen Mirren - specifically while he was filming Psycho.

I remember the first time I saw Psycho. I was a in my early teens, and saw it one night on TV, while I was babysitting my Uncle and Aunt's 5 year old. Sat in a dark, somewhat unfamiliar house - the young 'un was thankfully tucked up in bed - and Psycho definitely moved me, scared me.

This film wasn't a thriller though. In fact, it was funny. The dialog was superb, and witty. The acting was superlative. Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren deserve Oscars, and no doubt in a couple months they'll be vying for those awards.

The closing lines were typical of the film's wit. 

After the premier of Psycho, Hitchcock says to his wife "I'll never find a leading lady that's a beautiful as you". 
"I've been waiting 46 years to hear those words from you Hitch" she says.
"That, my dear, is why I'm known as the Master of Suspense".

With my better half on a brief trip to the UK, I was free to watch a movie I knew she wouldn't want to see. It didn't in any way make up for her being away, but it was nevertheless an outstanding movie, and a terrific insight into the corpulent director.

If the film is to be believed, he was an incessant eater, sloppy drinker, and an all around grubby grabber of his leading ladies, with a long-suffering wife who tirelessly supported his fragile ego.

Not a bit like Mrs P, but still thoroughly enjoyable stuff.

No comments: