Sunday, September 14, 2014

RAVE - 1760

While it's not the best-looking restaurant around town (it's on mostly ratty Polk Street, and is perhaps a bit cafe-ish for a full on date) the food definitely stands out - in flavor, presentation, and execution. Mostly.

I say "mostly" because there were a couple of misses along with the hits.

We started with the Shishito Peppers - a favorite of mine made even better by them being served with chopped olives, hazelnuts, and smoked sea salt. Then came the first miss of the night, the Lollipop Kale, with Guianciale, red currant, and ginger. Quite why it was "lollipop" was a bit of a mystery, as it looked like regular kale. But hey, even the menu writer has to get his kicks somehow.

The second course was excellent. I had the fingerling potatoes, with charred avocado, cilantro and more nuts - roasted peanuts this time. Mrs P had the Hamachi Crudo, with pluots, avocado-yuzu kosho, and sea grapes. It was delicious, apparently, even though we had to consult a culinary dictionary to find out what animal / mineral / vegetable produces yuzu kosho, and an atlas to find out in what sea one grows grapes.

Yes, there was room - or at least my eyes told me there was - for a third course. And this was where my first miss of the meal came. I chose the Fried Duck Sandwich, with slaw, pickles, and spicy aioli. It certainly made an entrance, with a large steak knife skewering the bun. But once I took my first bite I'd had enough. There was just too much slaw, too many pickles, and not enough duck to taste. It was a good job I was already full up. Saving the course was my wife's BBQ Pork Belly, with corn porridge, peaches, and charred frisée.

All in all, a great experience, with interestingly - even adventurously - prepared dishes.

No comments: