Friday, July 25, 2014

REVIEW - Some Firsts in New York City

Although I've visited New York many times - for business and pleasure - last week I experienced a few surprising firsts. At least they were for me.

For the first time I experienced the New York subway, traveling just a few stops from somewhere near my hotel in Chelsea, to Wall Street. It was a predictably uncomfortable experience, with the air oppressively hot and the trains crowded. I was reminded of a London friend who used to avoid the underground, saying "The Tube is only for poor people".

As we left the subway it started raining, so we sheltered in a Dunkin' Donuts. This marked my second first of the day. I've so far managed to avoid these darkest spots of the dark side, but I compounded my new error by having one of their coffees and wondered why on earth DD is taking market share from Starbucks. On second thought, as I also loathe Starbucks they deserve to have their market share dinged a bit.

Once in the Wall Street offices of our customer, I followed the chopper-spotters to the 9th floor where we were able to see President Obama's helicopters land him and his retinue at the East River heliport. They were whisked away in a fleet of black SUVs, allowing the dozens of ferries and rather more heavily armored boats to continue on their way.

My third New York first was definitely the high spot of the trip.

No comments: