Sunday, April 27, 2014

REVIEW - The National

What a trooper I am. Stirring myself from a flu-induced day of couch-tending, we went with Gareth and Bronwyn to see The National and Portugal, The Man at The Greek Theater in Berkeley.

It as a bit nippy, but there was no rain to dampen our spirits. We got there early enough to get decent seats, and surprisingly - for me - found Portugal, The Man to be more than just the dull strummers I'd painted them as beforehand. I'm a bit cynical though, especially when it comes to music. So The National really didn't do it for me. I knew it wouldn't either for Mrs. P, whose radio channels are decidedly more R&B- than Indie-centric.

With The National having been compared to Joy Division, Leonard Cohen, Wilco, Depeche Mode, and Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - at least according to Wikipedia - their set was absolutely guaranteed to not inspire much singing along among the sold out crowd. And so it was. Like a dirge with all the jokes taken out.

And if I'd written that Wikipedia entry, I'd have compared them negatively with Joy Division et al.

No comments: