Tuesday, August 28, 2012

REVIEW - Young Adult

Definitely one for the inflight movie watcher, and as I had 14 hours of air travel yesterday, I duly watched more than my share of slightly dull tiny screen fodder.

This was one of them: Charlize Theron plays an ex-high school hottie - now an alcoholic divorcée who's writing a soon to be canceled young adult fiction series. In a desperate move to make something happen in her slowing-to-a-stop life, she returns to her childhood home in Minnesota. There she embarks on a plan to win back her former sweetheart, played by Patrick Wilson. The fact that he's now married with a baby doesn't dissuade her. Along the way, she forms a bond with Patton Oswalt, another former classmate, who has been left disabled by a beating he took at school from a bunch of jocks.

It wasn't a complete waste of time. Well, it was for Charlize Theron, as she fails to win Wilson away from this married suburban bliss. But for me, it was better than straining my eyes to read when I should have been sleeping, and straining my backside to stay comfortable in coach.

No comments: