Wednesday, July 18, 2012

RAVE - John Mayall at Yoshi's Oakland

A night of bliss, as I worshiped at the feet of one of my all time idols. Even Pavey's non-attendance - some BS corporate event apparently - didn't dampen my enthusiasm, nor did it stop me getting goose-bumps for most of the show.

For those of you who've never heard of him - i.e. pretty much all of my family and friends - John Mayall is generally regarded as the Godfather of British blues music. Throughout his fifty-plus year career, Mayall has been known for introducing some of the best musicians around. 

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers have at one time or another featured Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce, who went on to form Cream, Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood who became Fleetwood Mac, Andy Fraser formed Free, and Mick Taylor joined the Rolling Stones.

There was no chance of doing any stage diving last night, as anyone who attempted it would have been impaled on the walking sticks half the audience seemed to be sporting. I felt sprightly and youthful with all the sixty and seventy year old grey pony tails on display, and all of those must have felt similarly sprightly at Mayall's eighty year old rocker antics.

1 comment:

Mark said...

The show was something! Glad I was able to attend this "sold out" show -- lucked into some returned tix.

Cheers