Saturday, January 10, 2015

RAVE - Bruce Grobbelaar at Kezar Bar

I'm not usually one to tag along after sports personalities - at least not for the past 17 years, where living in California has reduced my watching of soccer to the televised Premiership games, and cricket to a virtual non-existence.

However, when ex-Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar made an appearance at the newly-formed Liverpool Football Club SF Supporters gathering at the Kezar Bar, I made a willing exception.

He looked fit and healthy for his 57 years, and recounted his years at the greatest football team in the world - yeah, I know I'm biased - to a packed and eager crowd of 70 or so fans.

He then answered questions from the audience, many of which revolved around "how can Liverpool get back to the top of the league while having lost their leading scorer Luis Suarez to Barcelona, their current best player Daniel Sturridge to months of injury, and soon their captain Steven Gerrard to LA Galaxy?"

Most of his answers instead - perhaps predictably bearing in mind his own particular skills - focused on the dismal state of the team's current goalkeepers Simon Mignolet and Brad Jones.

I sealed the evening by getting him to sign a couple of postcards to my brother, Lawrence.

YNWA

No comments: